New to Online Eyeglasses? Click Here!
Ongoing: Click here for 15%-off EVERY ORDER at EyeBuyDirect This is the best ongoing deal on the internet for EyeBuyDirect!
Goggles4U drops prices, drops additional discount codes. People are concerned, but this is still one of the best places to buy online. Link!

I needed one more pair of sunglasses for the boat (a lovely 1979 runabout, not the yacht you'd expect I assure you), and decided I needed to check out the fastest shipping option. I also wanted to get something to show my love for those wacky Reno 911 deputies.

Here you go.

I went with the aviators (in the silver, to tone down the cheesiness ever so slightly) from 39dollarglasses.com. They were $65 shipped with the top shipping option (I think it was just under $16). I really like them, but I'd seriously consider getting the high index lenses next time. I was experimenting here to see with the ENORMOUS lenses if the high index mattered more. It does. The bigger the lens, the thicker they are at the edges.

They're totally wearable, they're just a bit thick for my taste.

The shipping time? I ordered just before midnight on Thursday and they were delivered on Monday. Yeah, that's lightning fast -- and probably worth the $16 for those of you as antsy as I am when I order something online.

License and registration, ma'am?



Before you go, sign up for my feed! If you have a feed reader, sign up by clicking here, or enter your email address in the box below to start getting GlassyEyes posts delivered to your inbox. You'll never get any spam, and each email includes an unsubscribe link (that really works!). Thanks!

11 comments:

At May 14, 2007 at 6:08 AM Anonymous said...

Nice work here! I'm a developer on a website which offer quality low cost prescription glasses. The reason for launching the website is the ridiculous prices charged by high street opticians here in the UK.

Please considering reviewing the prescription sunglasses with photochromatic lenses, that the site offers.

To help you with your blog, here is a discount code which will reduce the prices by a further 10%.

BWGLASSES010

Cheers, Bill.

 
At May 15, 2007 at 3:29 PM Anonymous said...

Hello,

Can you please contact me at my email. I have something interesting for you.

 
At May 22, 2007 at 1:01 AM clay pot club said...

I was just having a discussion with my dad about reusing eyeglass frames. He said growing up in China, everyone expected you to reuse frames. (Well, they were so poor, they reused everything, even to the point where they would replace the filament in light bulbs, or refill the ink in a pen that wasn't meant to be refilled.) He said that eyeglass places like LensCrafters would never do it for you, since the frames sell for so much. I boiled over and thought "Surely, people sell their old frames on ebay, heck, people buy lots of junk there. If that is possible, then there must be places where people can install new lenses on old frames." So, I googled around a bit and found this site! (Which is very helpful, by the way, I'll be telling all of my friends!)

I've read some of your posts and some other blogs and it seems some people have tried to get new lenses on a pair of old frames. I'm under the impression that it is perfectly reasonable to reuse old frames that are in working condition. I really like my frames. I use them about once every 2 months, so they're in nearly new condition. I would hate to see them go to waste, especially when I like them so much. What is your take on that?

 
At May 22, 2007 at 8:30 PM Phoebe North said...

Hey there!

I wanted to thank you for your site! I just linked to it from my blog. As you'll see there, I'm calling Sears tomorrow to cancel a 450 dollar order I put in with them. Robbery, I tell ya.

 
At May 23, 2007 at 2:42 PM Gloria said...

Hey Ira, I've been aware of your site for a while, and ordered my first pair of glasses from Optical4Less recently, and they're perfect. Your site was super helpful, and I'm so glad I don't have to pay hundreds of dollars for glasses anymore. Thanks!

 
At May 28, 2007 at 1:44 AM Anonymous said...

Just a general comment: Thank you so much for this blog! I went into a popular mall store and not only did I pay $570 for my new glasses, but they were quite rude to me as well. When I left I was upset for the rest of the day. When they told me the price I almost walked out, but felt pressured to continue with the sale, especially with their constant reminder that I had 30 days to change my mind. It didn't even take 24 hours - after doing some quick research and finding this blog, I called them up and cancelled the order before they even made the glasses. I'll be sharing your blog with all of my glasses-wearing friends.

 
At June 5, 2007 at 4:51 PM Anonymous said...

Greetings!

A lab tech at one of your hated chains here. Regarding the thickness of the edges in your glasses. You can have them rolled and polished. That takes care of the sharp edge on the outside and tends to make the lens blend in more without that matte finish.

Regarding lenses in old frames. We do them all the time at Pearle, and are not at all offended to do it.

Love your site. I think there is a need for both the places you promote and us. Were it not for my job, I'd be doing the same thing you're doing. That being said, boy, do we get a lot of people who simply have to have the $400 designer frame.

 
At July 26, 2007 at 8:08 PM Anonymous said...

Respect my authority!

 
At August 5, 2008 at 11:34 PM Anonymous said...

What's the frame ID number from 39 dollar glasses? Thanks

 
At August 6, 2008 at 12:00 AM Ira said...

They're the Aviator in Silver.

 
At March 29, 2010 at 5:40 PM marbella said...

I just ordered these in gold/brown for myself and silver/grey for the bf. I was going to order the aviators from optical4less, but after some rubbish pre-sale service and your previous review on here, i chickened out. hopefully these will be good enough to make me forget about the option of bronze and gunmetal frames, and the gradient tinting they offer... fingers crossed!

 

Post a Comment