Discount: 10% off using this link.
Value Eyecare Network, Inc.
3125-3 Veterans Memorial Hwy
Ronkonkoma, NY 11779
Phone: (800) 672-6304 - 9AM to 5PM Eastern Time
Pricing: USD (and 36 others!)
Payment Options: All major credit cards
Summary of Services:
One of the originals and still one of the best. The website is getting a little long in the tooth, but they provide all the information you need to make an informed and successful decision. I've been told to keep my eye out for a site makeover in the near future.
They have all of the standard styles, a bit on the conservative side -- I'd love to see a few more "chunkier" retro styles if possible.
Located in New York, you're not going to have to deal with any sort of unanticipated customs delays here. If you need your glasses fast, they can be one of the quicker options, though some have reported shipping delays in the past few months (I've not experienced any delays).
One of the few reputable sites to offer reglazing (or re-lensing) on your existing frames. This service starts at $39 and is a good deal when considering Transitions lenses or other more premium options. NOTE: There have been a number of issues reported with delays in the past month (April/May 2009). I've talked with the CEO and there will be a new system and service manager in place for this service in the very near future. You may want to hold off on this until that is announced. Keep an eye on GlassyEyes for details.
I have an excellent relationship with this company, so I can usually help out in the rare case that you have unresolved issues with them. They stand behind their products.
Open to suggestions. One of my favorites.
As of 5/7/2009:
"At 39dollarglasses.com, we offer a 100% quality guarantee. Our objective is simple: make sure every customer has a wonderful experience purchasing from us. If there is any defect in your new glasses, please contact one of our knowledgeable customer service specialists within 30 days of the date your original order shipped and we will arrange a quick exchange for a new pair of glasses. That’s it!
All of our frames come with an unconditional 6 month guarantee. If they become damaged within the first 6 months we will replace the frame FREE! If damage occurs after 6 months, we will be happy to replace the frame at a reduced cost. All of our lenses come with an unconditional warranty to be free of any defects. Please contact us within 30 days of receiving your new glasses if there is any defect in the lenses and we will immediately exchange them FREE of charge. If you damage your lenses for any reason within the first year we will gladly remake new lenses for you at a reduced cost."
All (Size, Total Width, Lens Height)
In the forums...
- Least Expensive Package: $39.00
- Basic Lens: $0.00 (Clear Polycarbonate 1.59 index)
- Mid-Index: -- (none offered)
- High-Index: $29.95 (Seiko 1.67) - down from $49 in 2007
- Lined Bi: $40.00
- Progressive Bi: $50.00
- Photochromic: $49.90 (CR39 Genuine Transitions) - down from $63.95 in 2007
- Polarized Sun: $49.90 (CR39)
- DriveWear: $89.90 (Genuine Transitions DriveWear)
- Anti-Reflective (AR): $24.95 (easily the highest of the group as this is often FREE)
- Ultraviolet (UV): $0.00 (Included)
- Scratch-Resistant: $0.00 (Included)
- Tint: $9.95 - $19.95 (basic colors CR39 or Polycarbonate)
- Lowest Ship: $0.00 (Two pairs or orders over $100)
- Highest Ship: $16.90 (NEXT DAY*)
- International shipping is available to MANY countries.
- From the site: "All of our eyeglasses are custom made for your exact prescription. Please allow us 2-3 business days to make your eyeglasses. Rimless orders, Bifocals and Progressives orders, orders with Transitions™ Lenses, polarized lenses, or custom anti-reflective coatings may take an additional 1-2 business days."
- Bottom line: A standard shipping order on a basic single-vision pair should take 5-10 BUSINESS days to arrive at your door.