New to Online Eyeglasses? Click Here!
Ongoing: Click here for 15%-off EVERY ORDER at EyeBuyDirect This is the best ongoing deal on the internet for EyeBuyDirect!
Goggles4U drops prices, drops additional discount codes. People are concerned, but this is still one of the best places to buy online. Link!

So, being stuck in a hotel for a week with the kids has had it's ups and downs. It's tough to live out of a single room with all of their stuff. It's also nice to have a swimming pool at your disposal.

I never used to like the pool much. I like being able to see and getting in the water meant leaving the glasses behind -- and along with it, my sight. Never having more than a single pair of glasses, I couldn't risk losing or breaking them in the water.

I've spent hours upon hours in the pool this week with a big responsibility -- being able to keep an eye on the wee ones. Planning ahead a bit, I grabbed a pair of glasses that work perfectly for such a task. The prescription is perfect, they're sturdy as hell, and they look horrible on me. I never wear the things.

Not only do they work perfectly in the pool to see with, they've also come in handy as an accidental pool toy. They came off a few times in the deep end and my oldest son was more than happy to retrieve them for me, showing off his new found swimming confidence. "Throw them in again, dad," echoed through the pool area on more than one occasion.

Ever done either of these things with a $400 pair of glasses? I certainly hadn't.

Summer is coming. Do yourself a favor, pick up a pair of glasses for the pool (in the water or in a lounge chair) -- prescription sunglasses anyone?



Before you go, sign up for my feed! If you have a feed reader, sign up by clicking here, or enter your email address in the box below to start getting GlassyEyes posts delivered to your inbox. You'll never get any spam, and each email includes an unsubscribe link (that really works!). Thanks!

7 comments:

At March 26, 2008 at 12:51 AM Anonymous said...

it's funny that it's easier/cheaper to get a pair of glasses just for the pool than to buy speedo's optical goggles.

Although I did try wearing my glasses on top of my goggles once at swim practice...amazingly they stayed on due to the fact that swim caps are pretty sticky.

 
At March 26, 2008 at 4:41 AM Anonymous said...

You know, I had this very idea just a couple of days ago! I was telling a friend about your great site but quickly added that I still really didn't need an extra pair (even if inexpensive). Then, mid sentence, an image of swimming without glasses hit me. So of course I needed a pair! Actually, a frustrating memory from my childhood is being at the public pool without glasses and not being able to check out the girls. Everything was too just to damn blurry and I had to concentrate all visual capacities on finding my own towel.

 
At March 26, 2008 at 6:51 AM Maria Stahl said...

Ira, you're so funny! "Accidental pool toy..." LOL!

 
At March 26, 2008 at 8:55 AM GG said...

I wear glasses since I was nine. That, in a way, shapped my personality. I HAD TO LEARN to be a careful fellow in order to avoiding breaking my glasses. In the process, I broke many and felt the anguish corresponding to a kid coming back from school with broken glasses. Again.
I still feel a sort of "responsability" about my glasses.
Since I found cheap glasses on internet, mainly through glassyeyes, I feel RELIEVED from that responsability. I can break my glasses and it doesn't matter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's fantastic.-
GG

 
At March 26, 2008 at 9:08 AM April said...

You've got to check out http://www.aquagoggles.com/
They've got prescription swim goggles for like $30. I got the last year's model for under $20! I've tried swimming in sunglasses before but they fall off in the pool and my kid is not big enough to fetch them from the deep end.... and I can't see well enough to do it. I LOVE it that I have two pairs of glasses AND a pair of prescription swim goggles for less than half what I used to pay for one pair of glasses.

 
At April 2, 2008 at 8:45 PM NewLeaf said...

Optical 4 Less just got in these:

http://www.optical4less.com/plastic-eyeglasses/p112/

They don't say anything about wearing them in a pool, but it might be worth asking about.

I also found these swim goggles. They don't have perfect prescriptions available (just -2 to -8 diopters in .5 steps) but they're only $19!

 
At April 20, 2008 at 9:11 PM Anonymous said...

I stupidly had on a pair of expensive glasses at Raging Waters. I lost them in one of those lazy river rides. I spent an hour walking backwards against the tide trying to find them after I discovered they had fallen off. My son's friend found them later that day mangled beyond repair. I have vision correcting swim goggles but I rarely wear them. Having a cheap pair of "swim glasses" is a great idea.

 

Post a Comment