New to Online Eyeglasses? Click Here!
Ongoing: Click here for 15%-off EVERY ORDER at EyeBuyDirect This is the best ongoing deal on the internet for EyeBuyDirect!
Goggles4U drops prices, drops additional discount codes. People are concerned, but this is still one of the best places to buy online. Link!

I've been a bad boy. I haven't given the proper care and handling to my eyeglasses. I'd say that it has something to do with the low price-point and the fact that I have so many pairs, but in my soul-searching I can honestly say, I've not been easy on my lenses even when they were so criminally attached to the $350+ price tag.

It's not easy to wear eyeglasses. It's even less easy to clean and store them in the prescribed fashion. Sometimes it rains. Sometimes I fall asleep with them on. Sometimes a sneeze sneaks up on me and they fly across the table onto the sidewalk.

I'm not a robot. I don't have a small drawer that slides out of my chest with an eyeglass case and neatly folded microfiber cleaning cloths. I've been known to use my shirt-tail in a pinch.

All that said, I've got enough pairs that when one of them got all scratched up from a particularly long run aboard my nose, I put them away and moved on to another pair.

The thing is, I REALLY LOVE these glasses. I love the photochromic lenses. I love the look. Dare I say, they've become my trademark. I needed to get them re-done. I looked around and decided I'd give the folks at 39 Dollar Glasses a whack at replacing the lenses.

They're going in the mail tomorrow (with a significant amount of padding included in the box). I'll report back when they arrive.

This is also ("potentially" -- until I see the results) a great way to fill those vintage frames you just grabbed at the thrift store or off eBay without spending an additional fortune.

Here's a link to the service and price list.



Before you go, sign up for my feed! If you have a feed reader, sign up by clicking here, or enter your email address in the box below to start getting GlassyEyes posts delivered to your inbox. You'll never get any spam, and each email includes an unsubscribe link (that really works!). Thanks!

8 comments:

At February 21, 2008 at 6:23 PM Unknown said...

Ohh! Me too. I sent off an old pair frames to $39-glasses on Tuesday (Feb 19).

I paid extra for the upgraded Seiko lens material and the anti-reflective coating and it was still about a third of the price for comparable lenses I got at LensCrafters ($114 versus $300+).

I'm looking forward to getting them back and comparing the glasses!
--
Great site, keep up the good work.

 
At February 21, 2008 at 7:46 PM jff said...

I just did this experiment with 39dollarglasses and so far it's not going well. When I got the frames with new lenses back, the left prescription wasn't right. I've since sent them back and should be getting the fixed pair any day. But it's been a good 7 weeks since I started the process at this point, and no glasses yet.

 
At February 21, 2008 at 8:39 PM krylonultraflat said...

I've been considering doing something similar for my out-of-prescription converse frames that have been more or less destroyed over the years. Only I was considering putting tinted lenses into them (moving back to South Florida has made me realize I'm going to get cataracts unless I get some sunglasses)

Let me (I mean, us) know how this turns out. Or alternately I may try another company and submit my results to you for discussion.

 
At February 22, 2008 at 11:04 AM Unknown said...

Not sure I understand the reason for your "experiment". The Lenscrafter store at my local mall will do the same thing - replace my lenses for $39.00. This must be some magic number in the eyeglass cabal. And, with Lenscrafters, I get the glasses in about an hour. So why mail glasses back and forth to a cut rate company that may or may not do the job right?

 
At February 22, 2008 at 11:04 AM aimee said...

I have never had the problem of being charged more than like $100 for new lenses in a eyeglasses place. Maybe its because I dont go to chains? I live in NYC, and have vintage frames. To put lenses in, they start at a base fee of $59. Anti reflective coating is about another $30. And to get transitions, its another $100.

 
At February 22, 2008 at 1:14 PM Anonymous said...

I sent some vintage frames I got from a thrift store to 39dollarglasses for new lenses around the end of the year. I got them back mid-january, with a new case + microfiber pouch in absolutely pristine condition.

 
At February 22, 2008 at 3:20 PM Ira said...

They're off!

I gotta say, even though they weren't wearable, I'm nervous tossing them in the mail.

It's not logical, as I can't remember the last thing I had lost, or damaged in the mail, but I'm still uneasy.

 
At March 12, 2008 at 2:11 PM Anonymous said...

I bought a Silhouette rimless frame for $60 off eBay two years back and had 39dollarglasses do the lens. They've worked out pretty well for the price, but the lens smudge really easily and now the AR is starting to flake.

 

Post a Comment