New to Online Eyeglasses? Click Here!
Ongoing: Click here for 15%-off EVERY ORDER at EyeBuyDirect This is the best ongoing deal on the internet for EyeBuyDirect!
Goggles4U drops prices, drops additional discount codes. People are concerned, but this is still one of the best places to buy online. Link!

I recently stumbled upon an eyeglasses website based in Wales, which I am mightily impressed by. SpecsOnTheNet.com is the website of FocusFix, Ltd. which was founded in 1994. The website came online in 2003.

The selection at SpecsOnTheNet.com is good, I counted a few hundred model options and many hundreds more when colors are tossed into the mix. You'll find a limited selection of designer brands as well as the generics aimed at the more budget conscious audience.

UPDATED: There is an error on the tinting price when you choose USD as the currency -- I really doubt that they'd charge £8 if you're in the UK and $170 in the US. I assume this to be $17 for USD, but I'll get confirmation on it. Coatings are a bit pricey for this market segment, but certainly not outrageous.

"So when are you going to tell us about the FREE eyeglasses?"


Patience, my bespectacled friends.

I reviewed their "Virtual Modelling System" (VMS) in a previous entry. If you give it a try, you too can get the "freebies" in the neighbourhood (it is an English company after all) of $8 (you didn't expect free shipping did you?). It really is quite nice and fun! -- Click here for details.

You're not going to find any frames that will turn heads (in any "good" way), but you'll find some very servicable, sturdy frames to be sure. Limit one pair per household, and they limit it to something like 20 free pairs per day so it might take a bit of waiting to get in on the deal. Also, thanks to anonymous, we've found out that there are prescription strength limits to the stock lenses (which makes practical and economical sense) and that there may even be a discrepancy as to what constitutes a "stock lens".

I decided to go retro and get a pair reminiscent of a pair I owned maybe 10 years ago -- bigger lenses than usual and hopefully perfect for those late nights coding at the laptop.

The VMS view.


I received mine about two weeks after ordering them. They were "dispatched" (I love the English) within 48 hours of my order. The included case and SpecsOnTheNet logo microfiber cleaning cloth was an unexpected bonus -- especially for a FREE pair of eyeglasses.

The release of their VMS also ushered in their ability to offer bi/varifocals for those of you needing them.

The tortoise-shell isn't nearly as "comic book" in person, although the glasses may be. My four year-old said, "You look like Clark Kent!"

The actual pair (look Ma, no AR!).


That said, the prescription is perfect and they are excellent glasses for the purpose.

Would I buy from SpecsOnTheNet.com? Absolutely. I intend on getting something flashy in the next few weeks. As always, I'll check in with the results.



Before you go, sign up for my feed! If you have a feed reader, sign up by clicking here, or enter your email address in the box below to start getting GlassyEyes posts delivered to your inbox. You'll never get any spam, and each email includes an unsubscribe link (that really works!). Thanks!

3 comments:

At December 31, 2006 at 4:19 PM Anonymous said...

I tried to order free glasses through them. Nothing fancy. Only nothing more severe than -2.25 diopters. Their site reports that I am "out of range" for their stock lenses and I need to order high index. (Their help page says their stock range is +/- 6 for standard lenses, so this is amiss).

 
At December 31, 2006 at 5:59 PM Ira said...

Perhaps that is based on the frames? I ordered the plastic frames and here is my prescription:

OD: -4.25 | -1.25 | 178
OS: -3.50 | -2.00 | 177

It worked for me.

 
At January 29, 2007 at 2:59 PM Binky Melnik said...

Repeated emails to specsonthenet.com bounces, saying:

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

orders@focusfix.com
(ultimately generated from sales@specsonthenet.com)
unrouteable mail domain "focusfix.com"

I've tried emailing my question to several different email addresses of theirs, all with the same results. I can't order anything until I get my question answered, and I'm not ordering from anyone who's unreachable. (And the glasses I want cost a few hundred dollars; I'm not after the free ones.) What kind of legitimate company has bouncing emails?

 

Post a Comment